Best USA made round neck reso for under $2500

Musical topics not directly related to steel guitar

Moderators: Dave Mudgett, Janice Brooks

Matt Campbell

Best USA made round neck reso for under $2500

Post by Matt Campbell »

I come to the group with this question....I am considering the purchase of a top notch round neck, with solid woods, USA made, round neck spider type reso. I have owned 2 OMI Dobro round necks in the past and enjoyed them very much. But now that I have experienced the sounds of a solid maple guitar (in my square neck) Ive really got the urge for another round neck.
I usally do alot of homework before I pull the trigger, so this is where I start.
I'm wondering what the consensus of the group would be toward this type of a guitar. I would prefer a nut width of 1 3/4 to 1 13/16, and a fairly thin, but stable neck profile. 12fret neck with a cutaway would be awesome, however I know thats not a stock made production guitar. Ive been looking at the National Model D, ( I love the retro look and the heritige, Kewl !!!) but the pics Ive seen looks like the neck is as big as a baselball bat, Is this true?
I also prefer a spider type resonator over a biscuit type. The main thing is that it has to be "smok'n loud" and lots of midrange growl and smooth singing trebles, and with a tight bass for fingerstyle and flatpicking both.

Thanks in advance for the help..

Thanks Matt
You'll never see a armored truck follow'n a hearse !!
Brad Bechtel

Post by Brad Bechtel »

Matt, since you are talking specifically about a regular guitar rather than a lap type guitar, I'm moving this to Music from Steel Without Pedals.
A great spot to ask this same question is the IGS Guitar Forum, but I'm sure you'll get other responses here.
I was very impressed by the Paul Beard guitars I saw at the Healdsburg Guitar Festival last month.
Brad’s Page of Steel
A web site devoted to acoustic & electric lap steel guitars