Carter's Quad Raise /Double Lower: What's the advantage ?

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Ken Crisp

Carter's Quad Raise /Double Lower: What's the advantage ?

Post by Ken Crisp »

Hey Guys, Ann of Carter Steels informed me their guitars are standard with quad raise/double lower. What's the advantage over triple raise/triple lower ?

Also, does anyone have the copedent for the Carter S12 & D12 ?

Thanks !
Sho-Bud D10 Super Pro 8/6. Peavey Session 500 Black Widowed
Micky Byrne

Re: Carter's Quad Raise /Double Lower: What's the advantage

Post by Micky Byrne »

Ken, the copedent you're asking for is on the Carter website. "Most requested tunings" It covers the S-12 universal.

Micky Byrne United Kingdom www.mickybyrne.com
David Doggett
Location: Bawl'mer, MD (formerly of MS, Nawluns, Gnashville, Knocksville, Lost Angeles, Bahsten. and Philly)

Post by David Doggett »

Ken, the advantages depend on the copedent you want. If either system can handle it, then there is no difference for you. If one system can handle it, and the other can't, then the one that can has advantages for you, and the other is unacceptable. It all depends on your needs.
Billy Carr
Restricted

4 raises & 2 lowers

Post by Billy Carr »

I can think of 3 raises with pedals 1,3 & a KL. Then you have another raise available if you can use it. 3 raises and lowers is plenty for me, as I only set my guitars up for what I can use when I'm out playing. If I don't use something then I change it sometimes to something I will. Depends. Never been one to have something I don't use on a guitar. Any of the CARTER guitars with the 4 raises is a good choice, especially the U-12.
Jacek Jakubek

Post by Jacek Jakubek »

Which guitars come with a triple raise/triple lower?

On my Carter SD-12 universal, I notice that no strings use more than 3 raises, there is always a slot for a raise left over. It would seem more versatile to have
3 and 3 then, but I'm no expert. Like David said above, it depends on your needs.

I'm adding a new blues pedal that was going to have 3 lowers on one string and now I notice I can't do it with this Carter guitar.

To see a Universal E9/B6 Copedant, click below
Universal Copedant
Ken Crisp

Post by Ken Crisp »

Micky, David, Billy, thanks for the good ole help.

Jacek, what Ann informed of today is that I had the option of triple raise/lower at no extra charge. The way she explained it, Carter can mix and match. Keep your quad changer and install a triple [whether it be one or all] on any specific string, which I thought was impressive. Carter could most likely swap out your changer.

Frankly, it would be wise for "each string" to have a different changer [quad or triple]. This way when needed, you'll more options available to you, when it comes to switching copedents. Extract the changer, and move the quad or triple to its perspective place.

Ken
Sho-Bud D10 Super Pro 8/6. Peavey Session 500 Black Widowed
Ernie Pollock

Humm?

Post by Ernie Pollock »

Only one thing I could think of, on the Universal S-12 E9th/B6th, I wanted to raise the B to C, but the three holes on my triple raise were already used up, on that 4 raise, that would not be a problem. I do some things on the B6th side that would be nice to raise that B to C, I have that on my D-10 & kind of miss it. I use it with the BooWha pedal. I am sure others could think of uses for the 4th raise hole on the changer. Oh, its too hard to reach over to the 1st pedal & raise it half way, I would need that Extra Foot that Ralph Mooney uses, that he never shows us?

Ernie Pollock
http://www.hereintown.net/~shobud75/stock.htm
richard burton

Post by richard burton »

Sometimes it's handy to have an extra raise hole, as it can be used to get a tunable split when the string is lowered.
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

Sometimes it's handy to have an extra hole on a changer finger either for a raise or lower. This is so you can move your pull rod around to get a better action or to time the pulls for the different strings on one pedal/lever.
Paddy Long

Post by Paddy Long »

Tuneable splits on a Carter are achieved by using an extra pull rod so having a quad raise gives you a lot of possibilities for split tuning !!!
Jacek Jakubek

Post by Jacek Jakubek »

I just got a few triple raise/triple lower changer fingers from Carter, so you can interchange them like Ken said above.
Last edited by Jacek Jakubek on 15 Oct 2007 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fay Reid

The Not Enough Changer Positions Solution

Post by Fay Reid »

I agree with all responses. Obtaining the desired mix of 3x3 or 4x2 from the manufacturer is ideal. If not free, any charges would be minimal. The big headache is making the change on the changer.

Unfortunately, for many guitars the above solution is not possible for one reason or another, age, manufacturer no longer in business, etc. What is a person to do who would like an extra raise or lower at the changer? If you don't have a solution, look for the reposting of an article which I submitted a couple of years ago. I'll include some diagrams this time. In the meantime, I'm gone for a bowl of soup!
Fay