Brad bender ?

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Greg Gefell

Brad bender ?

Post by Greg Gefell »

I saw a great video demo of Brad Davis' bender system here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TQlqRLtaKs

These bender systems don't appear to be for sale anywhere so I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas where to acquire the cable system/pedal necessary to pull this off on a homemade console steel guitar?

I plan to run the cable down the left leg and put a pedal on the floor wherever it felt comfortable. I have enough distance between the nut and the tuners to allow for the hardware.

BTW - It is not my intention to make these for sale for anyone else, simply borrowing a great idea that would help me add some pull(s) to my personal guitar. If you know where I can buy one off the shelf I will. It would save me alot of hassle.
Jim Sliff

Post by Jim Sliff »

You might prefer checking out the Higgins Peg Bender. It replaces one tuning peg with a bender unit that uses a cable attached to the strap at the shoulder - works like a short-throw version of a Parsons-White. I've used it on a D-28, Variax, Les Paul, Strat...it's simple to install, works very precisely, and is non-invasive (at most you need ONE peg mounting screwhole on the back of the head, but sometimes not even that).

Comes with different ferrules so you don't even need to ream out the peg mounting hole. Once you adjust it right, it works smoothly, easily and you never hit it accidentally. Brad Higgins as really good with support as well...and is also a heck of a steel player.

http://www.bradivarius.com/pegbender.html

Before my hand injury took me out of the game, I had them on 4 guitars. I still have the Variax set up, and it's sweet having a b-bender on a "Gretsch", "D-28", "Super 400" "Electric Sitar", etc etc. I can't play guitar for more than 20 minutes due to the injury(or disability...whatever) - but I can lay down tracks with it.
No chops, but great tone
1930's/40's Rickenbacher/Rickenbacker 6&8 string lap steels
1921 Weissenborn Style 2; Hilo&Schireson hollownecks
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional
HowardR

Post by HowardR »

The Higgins Peg Bender lowers the string.....at least mine does....
Jim Sliff

Post by Jim Sliff »

You must have installed it backwards...or installed an in-line model on the wrong side of a 3-on a side (or visa-versa). Call Brad and if you have the wrong one I'm sure he'll figure it out.
No chops, but great tone
HowardR

Post by HowardR »

I have a few benders that Brad Higgins made for me, for some of my "dobros"....with a foot pedal & cable....they are lower only.....
Darvin Willhoite

Post by Darvin Willhoite »

Or you can bend all six strings with this contraption.

Darvin Willhoite
MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, as well as some older MSAs, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Recently added a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored blue Rose, named the "Blue Bird" to the herd. Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic again that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also added a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks.
Jim Sliff

Post by Jim Sliff »

OK Howard...now I get it. I know Brad does custom work. Based on your post I thought you were noting a problem and wondering how to fix it!
No chops, but great tone
Greg Gefell

Post by Greg Gefell »

It looks like the Peg Benders are no longer being made.

I still think the Brad bender idea would actually work better for my application - a console steel where I want the cable to come out the bottom (floor facing)

I'm willing to try a peg bender if someone will sell a spare.
Mark Vinbury

Post by Mark Vinbury »

Gene H. Brown

brad bender

Post by Gene H. Brown »

Or you could just learn how to play pedal steel and you would have the whole ball of wax rolled into one :mrgreen:
Gene
Don Blood

Tim Wallis has another version, check this out!

Post by Don Blood »

Jacek Jakubek

Post by Jacek Jakubek »

Oh man, some of these B-bender players on those videos and other videos on youtube are awesome!

They sound just like a pedal steeler, and with Telecaster tone to boot! If I didn't see it I would have thought it's a real pedal steel.

I got to get one of those myself.
Richard Bowden

Re: Brad bender ?

Post by Richard Bowden »

Greg Gefell wrote:I saw a great video demo of Brad Davis' bender system here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TQlqRLtaKs

These bender systems don't appear to be for sale anywhere so I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas where to acquire the cable system/pedal necessary to pull this off on a homemade console steel guitar?

I plan to run the cable down the left leg and put a pedal on the floor wherever it felt comfortable. I have enough distance between the nut and the tuners to allow for the hardware.

BTW - It is not my intention to make these for sale for anyone else, simply borrowing a great idea that would help me add some pull(s) to my personal guitar. If you know where I can buy one off the shelf I will. It would save me alot of hassle.
If you are not dead set on having a floor pedal, I have non-defacing, wrist pedal activated benders for acoustics and many electrics including dobros and lap steel guitars and can custom make for almost any guitar for less than $200. They require no holes or guitar modifications. Check out my website!
Richard Bowden
www.bowdenbbenders.com