Anybody work best little whorehouse gig ?

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Steve Spitz

Post by Steve Spitz »

I need whatever tab, CD anything to do with this show. I am working in a few weeks and need to find something to help me. Anybody have some ideas ?
John Hawkins

B/L/W/H/I/T Gig

Post by John Hawkins »

Steve,

Give Herb Remington a call ! He might be able to help you with your question .

His phone : a/c 713 -923 - 8435 .
John
billy tam

whorehouse

Post by billy tam »

Hi Steve, I did the Lil Whorehouse with the Baton Rouge Little Theatre for about 2 1/2 wks years ago and it was a real fun gig. I don't have and cd's or anything but the score should not be too hard to come up with. The original score had some nice C6 stuff on one of the bluesey tunes and some nice steel on Hard Candy Christmas. Good Luck with the gig.
thanks,
Billy
Brint Hannay

Post by Brint Hannay »

I wish! >:-)

Oh, you mean the SHOW "Best Little Whorehouse in Texas"!

I've done it twice at a local dinner theater. It's a fun gig. There was a steel book with the parts written out, but they allowed me to make up my own parts, mostly. Luckily, the band "pit" was placed where the band could watch the action on stage--in this case, a definite plus! ;-)
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

I did the show at the Theatre Royal, Drury Lane in London in 1981. I've done subsequent tours with the show, and it's my favourite PSG show to play! There's room for some improvisation, but you should pay close attention to those parts that you'll have in harmony with the violinist.

It'd be well worth your time - and money - to get the Broadway Original Cast album (it's on CD); the original steel player does a great job but, more importantly, it is his work that you'll see written out note-for-note when you finally get the score. I understand that he just made the parts up as he went along, but they've now become an essential ingredient of the show.

There are some great tunes, and the one I enjoyed playing the most was the extended steel-solo throughout the 'Aggie Dance'. You should have fun, but a little preparation will stand you in good stead and maake it an enjoyable experience.

Good luck!

RR
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

do it....it's fun....usually no one knows you're not doing it exactly as written...when i first did it, i found a copy of the record of the original (?) soundtrack , i think, and it gave me the basic 'how the songs sound' parameters.
Last edited by chris ivey on 22 Sep 2012 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

With respect, Chris, I'd say that it all depends on the Music Director - if he's looking to hear all the harmony parts between steel and fiddle, then he may not care to hear too much deviation from the charts. If they're assembling some sort of non-reading country band for the gig, though, it should be fine.

Also bear in mind that Dolly made quite a few changes to the original music - part of her conditions for doing the film were the inclusion of some of her songs! The film soundtrack reflects those changes.

RR
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

yes, roger...i know what you mean....i've dealt with several different music directors....usually the piano playing type...generally they have been just accepting enough to let me do what i can.....just learning to follow the charts all the way through the show so you know exactly when to start and stop was the first test...i enjoyed the challenge, considering i don't read music.
Eddie Lange

Post by Eddie Lange »

Who did play steel on the original cast album?
Michael Garnett

Post by Michael Garnett »

Roger Rettig wrote:There are some great tunes, and the one I enjoyed playing the most was the extended steel-solo throughout the 'Aggie Dance'.
As an Aggie myself, I'm very pleased to read comments like this.

WHOOOOP!

Texas A&M University class of 2002
Company C-2, Corps of Cadets
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

Eddie

It was Lynn Frazier, an excellent player from the NY area. The show opened - and was recorded - in 1978.

RR
T. C. Furlong

Post by T. C. Furlong »

I played 64 "whorehouse" shows in the mid 80's at the Drury Lane Theater in Oakbrook Hills, IL. I just woodsheded Lynn Frazier's parts from the Broadway show. The musical director gave me a board tape of a few of the NY performances. I compared the various shows and Lynn played something different at each show. Man he sounded good. I also did the understudy steel gig for the national tour at the Shubert Theater in Chicago in 1980. The show's star was Alexis Smith. The great Josh Dubin was the steel player on the tour. I couldn't believe that they were willing to pay a steel guitar understudy. I had to audition for the show's musical director by playing parts that I couldn't read and had never heard. I thought I totally blew the audition but I got the gig. I guess they must have been desperate :lol: .

I would advise using the book even if you don't read. I came to rely on it to remember exactly where the parts were supposed to be. After a little time, you can look at a written part and remember what it is without actually reading it.
TC
Steve Spitz

Thanks

Post by Steve Spitz »

Thanks for all the help. You guys are the greatest.
Stu Schulman

Post by Stu Schulman »

T.C. I saw Lynn Frazier,Josh Dubin,and Harvey Shapiro all play the Broadway show...three monster players,Josh being one of my best friends offered me the backup gig,I would have had to move back to N.Y. from Ca.and I knew that I couldn't fill any of their shoes,so I declined ,what a great gig though for a steel player. :)
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.
Brendan Mitchell

Post by Brendan Mitchell »

These folk just might do to run the river with .
Billy Easton

Post by Billy Easton »

I did the Whorehouse show at the Phoenix Theatre in Phoenix, AZ last year...6 shows a week for 4 months. It was a blast. And the band/music director won the "Zonie" award for the best instrumentation. I would love to do it again. Ben Brogdon told me he played bass on the original broadway cast production.

Billy Easton
Casa Grande, AZ
Franklin Lehlbach

Post by Franklin Lehlbach »

Lynn Frazier rocks!!!
Michael Tyne

Post by Michael Tyne »

Hi, I'd just like to add to that list of players on Best little whorehouse. Australia about 1980 Her Majesty's Theatre,Sydney then Adelaide and Melbourne.The Charts were a big help with the live sound track.I was playing an Emmons at the time.
John Groover McDuffie

Post by John Groover McDuffie »

I'm doing the show this week. Sight reading in the deep end of the pool! Whew!

The playing on the Original Cast Recording is stellar and inspiring.
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

Good luck, John!

I really like this show - musically, anyway. It's been too many years since I played it but, each time I've done it, it's been a challenge - 'specially trying to get some of Lynn's incredible obligatos!

This is an old thread. My reflections (made earlier - above) are still relevant and I'd sooner do one run of 'BLWIT' than a dozen 'Patsy Cline' shows.
Roger Rettig - Emmons D10
(8+9: 'Day' pedals) Williams SD-12 (D13th: 8+6), Quilter TT-12, B-bender Teles and several old Martins.
----------------------------------
Ken Metcalf

Post by Ken Metcalf »

I think I have midi files and some notes but talk about having you rear-end handed to you.
Gary Preston

Post by Gary Preston »

When they were in Columbus , they called me to see if i would or knew anyone that would work it . They told me it only paid $ 40.00 a show . If my memory is right . I called another well known steel player and he said the money was horrible . I don't know who or if they got a steel player or not . I knew i couldn't help them .
Barry Blackwood

Post by Barry Blackwood »

I'm doing the show this week. Sight reading in the deep end of the pool! Whew!
When they were in Columbus , they called me to see if i would or knew anyone that would work it . They told me it only paid $ 40.00 a show . If my memory is right . I called another well known steel player and he said the money was horrible . I don't know who or if they got a steel player or not . I knew i couldn't help them .
John, I just hope it will pay you more than $40.. :\
Gary Patterson

Post by Gary Patterson »

$30-40/show is about right for a community theatre pit gig, of which I've done many. Frankly, I don't know what an Actors Equity touring show would pay, but I would expect it to be at least twice that. I'm doing a semi-pro non-Equity show right now for $50/night.
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

Gary:

I occasionally do shows at the Naples Players (our local community theatre) in the pit band. The last one I did was Autumn, 2012 - eight services a week and $110 per service. It's a lot more than that for a touring show and they'll provide transportation and hotel accommodation on top of the wages.

The Naples gig is good when I can get it - decent enough money and I sleep in my own bed! Touring shows have to pay more or I can't imagine anyone wanting to do them.
Roger Rettig - Emmons D10
(8+9: 'Day' pedals) Williams SD-12 (D13th: 8+6), Quilter TT-12, B-bender Teles and several old Martins.
----------------------------------