Jim Loessberg WOW !

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

J. R. McClung

Jim Loessberg WOW !

Post by J. R. McClung »

Last evening, Jill and I were privileged to attend The Southern Legends Entertainment & Performing Arts Hall of Fame Banquet in Oklahoma City.

We knew Bobby Flores was to be inducted and that later in the evening he would do a set with his band. So, after enjoying the tremendous all-you-can-eat barbeque supper and the awards ceremony, we suffered through a couple hours of the house band, an Elvis impersonator (yes, another one), and Conway's son (Lord, spare us!), before it was time for Bobby's set.

Bobby's band consisted of himself on vocals and fiddle, Jim Loessberg on steel, a bass player and a drummer. That's it....and that's all they needed: Bobby's vocals and fiddle playing, and Jim Loessberg's phenomenal steel playing.

Folks, we really did try to dance to every tune Bobby's band played, but often found ourselves standing over to the side near Loessberg and just staring in amazement as he worked both necks on that EMMONS. And while I was visiting with him after the show he confirmed what I was seeing from the dance floor: GUITAR>VOLUME PEDAL>NASHVILLE 400.

Let me close this novel by advising every steel lover to make every reasonable effort to go hear Jim Loessberg.

And thanks to Jim and Bobby for "keepin' it real".
Forget "world peace". Visualize using your turn signals.
Mike Shefrin

Post by Mike Shefrin »

Jim is one hell of a musician.
Last edited by Mike Shefrin on 12 Mar 2008 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Herb Steiner

Post by Herb Steiner »

Jim Loessberg is among my all-time favorite steel players, and I've told him so to his face many times. And he just modestly says, "aww man, come on. I can't find my butt with both hands tied behind my back."

Yeah, right. ;)

The guy is world class, and I'll put up with no contrary argument, thank you very much. Not that I could find one, anyway.

He's focused, he's disciplined, he's a serious student of whatever music he's applying himself to, and getting it right is paramount to him. That's what it takes to be a player of his caliber, and few amongst us make it there.

And he's a great drummer, as well as an excellent record producer. His father, Les Loessberg, was one of the good Austin steel players back in the day, and his brother John is an excellent bassist. So music just runs in their family. Lucky us. :)

Incidentally, I could say the same things about Bobby Flores. BF is the among the greatest studio musicians I've ever had the pleasure and privilege of working with, and I have worked with some of the best.
My rig: Infinity and Telonics.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
Mike Shefrin

Post by Mike Shefrin »

edited
Last edited by Mike Shefrin on 12 Mar 2008 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave Biller

Post by Dave Biller »

I'm always happy to see Jim getting some well deserved recognition. He is right up there with all the great Texas steel players whether he believes it or not. Ofcourse, he is modest to a fault and therefore has no idea how great he is, just like all the other greats!
Lee Baucum

Post by Lee Baucum »

WOW is such an understatement!
john widgren

Post by john widgren »

Check out Jim's instructional material. Great stuff!
Ray Minich

Post by Ray Minich »

Got 5 of Bobby Flores'CD's. They spin a lot in my CD players. "When Your House is not A Home" about blew a hole in me the first time I heard it (a little close to home I might add...) and the steel on these CD's is FABULOUS. Jim's artistry as well as the work of Jerry Blanton, Gary Carpenter, Tommy Detamore, Dicky Overbey, Rick Price, Herb Steiner, and Bobby Flores is all over the steel on these disks.

Interestingly enough, on all 5 CD's it's "Drums: Jim Loessberg...".
Jim Cohen

Post by Jim Cohen »

As great a player as Jim is on trad-country material, he is equally awesome as a bebop jazz player. His facility on all levels is stunning.
Bill Dobkins

Post by Bill Dobkins »

The first and only time I heard Jim was in at Jinnies in Austin with Justin Travino. They were a trio and they blew me away. Jim is also a great drummer.
Custom Rittenberry SD10
Boss Katana 100 Amp
Positive Grid Spark amp
BJS Bars
Z~Legend Pro,Custom Tele
Honor our Vet's.
Now pass the gravy.
Jerry Erickson

Post by Jerry Erickson »

Check out his cd, Sawed-Off Shotgun, it's great!
Don Sowersby

Post by Don Sowersby »

Jim Loessberg, all of the above and then some. Great at anything he does - steel guitar, drums, recording, and let's not forget his radio show.
Jeff Bradshaw

Post by Jeff Bradshaw »

Jim Loessberg is first class!!!
ebb

Post by ebb »

he is my hof and that is all that counts to me
Randall Palmore

Post by Randall Palmore »

JR, you got that right! Loessberg is one of the greatest and a super nice hombre! Always willing to share all kinds of steel guitar knowledge! If don't have one of his courses, get one! If get a chance to visit with him, do it! Kudos on everything Re: Bobby Flores and band. He's at the top! IMHO
Bobby Caldwell

Post by Bobby Caldwell »

Amen to what Herb said. Bobby
Buck Grantham

Jim

Post by Buck Grantham »

Jim is a well rounded musician . And a super nice Guy . Buck Grantham
Dean Batye

Jim Loessberg

Post by Dean Batye »

Jim is one of the players that I look foward to seeing and hearing play in Mesa at the SWSGA IN Jan.He always says hello and will talk to everyone,I hope he will be in Mesa again this year.
Dean Batye
Concord, Ca.
Larry Schoppe

Post by Larry Schoppe »

Jim is one of those guys that can do it all and does an exceptional job at everything he does!
Ronnie Vaughn

Post by Ronnie Vaughn »

Don Sowersby hit on another good point there! The Legends radio broadcast that Jim does is first class, I dont know how he finds all those great old classics with loads of great steel parts, some of the tunes I have never heard before on any other station Jim is putting it out there for us. All I can say is thanks Jim and keep up the good work.
:)
Joe Goldmark

Post by Joe Goldmark »

I know this is getting to be a broken record, but I have to jump on this bandwagon. I also saw Jim with Justin Trevino, and loved every minute of it. He plays steel like it should be played.

Joe
George Duncan Sypert

Post by George Duncan Sypert »

Jim is A # one, so is brother John and Sowersby ain't no slouch his ownself. Jim let me play a set at Ginny's one night with him staring down. I am sure he now knows how to not play pedal steel.
Fred Jack

Jim L.

Post by Fred Jack »

Herb, I do agree with everything you said, however, he does bear watching and I wasn't.
Larry Hamilton

Post by Larry Hamilton »

I met Jim here in Amarillo when Jim was about 21-22 years old, that would be in abou '78-'79. He WOWWED me then just he does now. He was very nice and willing to show me anything he had time for. He is still the same very nice guy and still teaching me with his courses. They just don't get any better than my friend Jim.
Keep pickin', Larry
Roy Rosetta

Post by Roy Rosetta »

Jim is one of the most exciting steel guitarist that I have had the pleasure to work with. Herb Steiner described Jim perfectly and I agree with every word. WOW....what a player, great guy and so very humble.
.....Roy
Music is a "gift" with many wrappings....
....Roy