Putting two amps together

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Bill Baseman

Putting two amps together

Post by Bill Baseman »

This question is for six string guitar. I have had a Mesa Boogie DC 3 for many years. I recently bought a Fender Blues Jr. A friend suggested I somehow connect the two to experiment with the sound I can get. My first question is this possible? My second if it is how can it work and how would I control the tone? In other words what amp would over ride the other?

Thanks,
Bill
John Bechtel

Post by John Bechtel »

Since they both probably have volume-controls, the volumes can be evened out very easily! If you use a volume-pedal with 2-output jacks, just plug one cord into each amp. input. If you don't use a volume-pedal, get a small plastic Y-Adaptor at Radio Shack and run one cord to each amp. Your guitar's volume control will effect both amps. together.
<marquee> Go~Daddy~Go, (No), Go, It's your Break Time</marquee> L8R, jb
My T-10 Remington Steelmaster
Eric West

Post by Eric West »

Go from your guitar or VP to one input of the MB and then a cord from the "Slave" jack to the Blues Jr.

Here's where I found that info. the Manual of the MB. Mesa Boogie Users Manual

Looks like the volume mix going to the BJr is controlled by a knob.

Probably pointing the Blues Jr at your head will be the best bet. (That's what I do with my Bjr as a second amp to my Hot Dod Deluxe. On if I come out of the Pre-amp out."

Boy those MBs had a lot of knobs.

:)

EJL
Jim Sliff

Post by Jim Sliff »

Another method is a cheap stereo chorus - just use it as a splitter and don't use the chorus. A "Y" connector is the worst idea electronically - too much of a chance for ground loops and it sometimes deadens the signal a bit. On old Fenders we used to just run a cord from the #2 input of one amp to the input of the other - not "correct", but we played 'em that way for decades.

But just about everyone I know now has an A/B/A&B switch.
No chops, but great tone
1930's/40's Rickenbacher/Rickenbacker 6&8 string lap steels
1921 Weissenborn Style 2; Hilo&Schireson hollownecks
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional
John Bechtel

Post by John Bechtel »

Jim Sliff; Am I correct in believing that you do not agree with the modern volume-pedal idea of having two parallel Output-Jacks for a two-amp. hook-up? (Which is the same as a Y-cord.) Most V-pedals have 2-outputs nowadays and I'm really disappointed to learn that it's a bad idea! Is there any real use for a Y-cord?
J Fletcher

Post by J Fletcher »

I'd say the disadvantage of using a Y cord is that the input impedance is now halved, assuming that both amps have an equal input impedance. You will lose some top end. But, in this case I'd say, if it sounds good it is good. To really be safe, I guess you might want to measure between the two amps chassis's and see if there is any AC voltage there. Don't see why a stereo chorus would eliminate ground loops though, aren't the two outputs sharing the same ground?
John Bechtel

Post by John Bechtel »

Let me reiterate! Is everyone in agreement that Parallel Outputs (= a Y-cord) on our volume-pedals is not a good idea? Why do all the latest volume-pedals have two Output-Jacks? What is the intended use for two Output-Jacks? I must be missing something!
Eric West

Post by Eric West »

We'll see what he does..

The Boogie referenced according to the FM shows only one input and one switch jack right beneath it. Of course the BJr only has one.

The Slave jack in the Mesa Boogie has an attenuator knob.

Looking at the manual, those things had enough knobs switches and jacks to run a whole sound system..

HFLE
J Fletcher

Post by J Fletcher »

I have no problem with parallel outputs on volume pedals, though mine doesn't have them. If the volume pedal is active, then it's output impedance would be low enough to drive parallel amps. If it's a pot type then you might hear some loss of fidelity, but then again you might not. Perhaps the the extra out is for a tuner?...Jerry
John Bechtel

Post by John Bechtel »

I think one of the first obsticles to overcome when learning to play the steel guitar or even Lead or Rhythm or any other instrument for that matter is to learn to tune w/o an electronic-tuner note-for-note! I think it's important to be able to rely on your ear, or ears if you're lucky enough to have two that work!
Mike Perlowin

Post by Mike Perlowin »

Jim Sliff wrote:Another method is a cheap stereo chorus - just use it as a splitter and don't use the chorus.
Or, when it's appropriate, DO use it.
Please visit my web site and Soundcloud page and listen to the music posted there.
http://www.mikeperlowin.com http://soundcloud.com/mike-perlowin
Dan Tyack

Post by Dan Tyack »

Friends don't let friends use chorus....
John Bechtel

Putting (2)-Amps. Together

Post by John Bechtel »

Back in ’83, when Paul Franklin was using (2)-Nashville 400's in Stereo, he had (1) Dry Amp. with just Reverb and (1) Effects~Amp. with Reverb and just a touch of Delay and Chorus, with the help of a L'il Izzy!
b0b

Post by b0b »

Dan Tyack wrote:
Friends don't let friends use chorus....
Thank you for that, Dan! :)

For many years I used two amps - Webb and Boogie. An active Goodrich volume pedal with two outputs seemed to be the best solution. Second best was a stereo delay after a pot volume pedal.

If I were doing it today, I'd use a pot volume pedal into a Steel Guitar Black Box, and from there into a stereo digital delay. This would keep the guitar and volume pedal from "seeing" the low input impedence of the solid state device.
-𝕓𝕆𝕓- (admin) - Robert P. Lee - Recordings - Breathe - D6th - Video
Dan Tyack

Post by Dan Tyack »

I was addicted to chorus for many years. My 'gateway effect' was the Yamaha 2005 chorus/doubler, which was subtle. After that, I needed to get my Jones from any chorus I could find. i needed to have that effect with a stereo amp and two speakers.

With the help of a twelve step program (turn down chorus from 12 to zero) I broke the addiction. As side effect, I reduced my dependency on reverb (another gateway effect). These days I just need a good sounding small tube amp and I feel satisfied. Really I do.
Henry Nagle

Post by Henry Nagle »

Good one, Dan!

Chorus has never been a problem for me but I tend to lean on distortion when I'm feeling down.

Relatively speaking, though, I'm doing ok. I've got a friend who's just about to hit rock bottom with a phaser. That's no way to live.
J Fletcher

Post by J Fletcher »

b0b, I thought the idea was for the "Black Box" to buffer the guitar from the volume pedal. Most stomp box digital delays have a pretty high input impedance, 500k to 1 meg, and shouldn't require any buffering before them. Your proposed signal chain is interesting!...Jerry
b0b

Post by b0b »

J Fletcher wrote:b0b, I thought the idea was for the "Black Box" to buffer the guitar from the volume pedal. Most stomp box digital delays have a pretty high input impedance, 500k to 1 meg, and shouldn't require any buffering before them. Your proposed signal chain is interesting!...Jerry
Oh. Maybe I'm doing it wrong. :oops:
Eric West

Post by Eric West »

Soo.... Bill.

How did it come out?

FHLE