Weber amp kit...Gaylon Matthews, ready to debut?

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Al Moss

Weber amp kit...Gaylon Matthews, ready to debut?

Post by Al Moss »

I check in from time to time via email inquiry to the Ted Weber company to check on the progress of the development of their steel amp kit that is to be known as the "Gaylon Matthews". It's DNA is supposed to be derived from the Standel of forgone eras. A number of months ago here on the Forum, Gaylon Matthews himself had begun to describe the amp and his assocaition in advising on its' development which had piqued my interest. According to a recent update from Ted Weber Co., it appears that the amp is now nearing its debut for purchase by the general public, (that is...if the general public knew about the joys of pedal steel playing, I won't tell em, nobody'd believe me anyway). -just wondering if Gaylon, or anybody else may be in the know about it's properties and may contribute some info on its sound and application and so forth?
Bruce Bindeman

Post by Bruce Bindeman »

Al,

Ted has posted a few pictures of the amp in the 'Steel' section of the Weber Forums.

Bruce
Harbor Lights clone, Quilter MicroPro Mach 2 HD, Pitch Forward Music
Steve Spitz

Post by Steve Spitz »

Coud someone post a link ?
Greg Simmons

Post by Greg Simmons »

http://www.webervst.com/vstbbs/bbs.html

then click on "Steel" in the vertical blue links on the left side of the page.
<i>�Head full of this kaleidoscope of brain-freight, Heart full of something simple and slow�</i>
-Mark Heard
Tim Whitlock

Post by Tim Whitlock »

Oh great!! I've got a beautiful Fender Twin that my friend John Pope completely rebuilt to my specs. It sounds fabulous and I figured I was set for life as far as an amp. Now this new Ted Weber steel amp is going to be haunting me. The worst part is that it will probably be affordable (in kit form)! Love that tooled black leather! Sexy!
Al Moss

Post by Al Moss »

Thanks for the link, did not know that that forum existed. Nice looking amp and the description of its' sound is especailly enticing.
Tim Whitlock

Post by Tim Whitlock »

Hmmm...after looking at this further, my enthusiasm for the new Ted Weber "steel" amp is starting to diminish. According to the Weber forum discussions, Ted had already designed the amp around a pair of 807 tubes, before he ever looked at a Standel schematic. His claims of 75 watts out of the two tubes would indicate a push-pull class AB setup, which is not consistant with Standel's class A config. Also, according to Ted "it does have a master volume for those who want to crank it into distortion". This is not really a desirable feature for a steel amp. Not sure how he researched this, but this amp does not seem to have much in common with Standel and is not really designed around a steel player's needs.

I still like the tooled leather tolex. Might have to order some for my Twin.
Tim Sergent

Post by Tim Sergent »

The "Gaylon Matthews" model is 80 watts. There is also a James Pennebaker model that is modeled after the Standel 25L15 which is 25 watts from what I understand. I too have been in touch with Ted Weber and I just took shipment on my Cali 12" Neo speakers. Haven't installed them yet, but I'll keep you posted.
Larry Weaver

Post by Larry Weaver »

Very interesting! Would love to hear some feedback on this baby from Gaylon or anyone that's heard it or played through it.

I'm not too familiar with 807's. Anyone shed some light on those?

Thanks,
LarryW
Blake Hawkins

Post by Blake Hawkins »

Larry, The 807 is a transmitting tube which has been around since the 1930's.
Although its primary use is in radio frequency transmitters, it has been used in high power audio amplifiers for movie theaters and stadiums.

It has a 5 pin base and a plate cap. The maximum plate voltage is listed as 750 volts. (A 6L6GC has a max of 500 volts.)
Oddly enough, the data I have lists maximum plate dissipation as 30 watts for both the 807 and the 6L6GC.

The 807 is generally considered to be a much more rugged tube than the 6L6GC.

Since the 750 volts is present at the plate cap on the top of the tube, it is not as "consumer friendly" as the single ended 6L6GC.
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

I had a Collins linear amp (ham radio) back in the 60's with 807's in it but never saw an audio amp that used them. Even with an insulated plate cap connector it still would not appear to be, as Blake put it, "user friendly".

As I remember, the 807 is a relatively fragile tube, especially the Plate connector.
Lee Baucum

Post by Lee Baucum »

I found out the hard way that it hurts - a lot - when your forearm brushes across the plate cap on top of one of those tubes. :whoa:
Benton Allen

Post by Benton Allen »

I can see where the 807's may produce an ever so slightly more mellow tone, as they were excellent modulation devices in their heyday. If I remember correctly, that tube has a Barium getter and most circuits that employed them as modulators ran 300-350 volts on the plate. I can't remember an instance of seeing more than 400 volts on the plate. 750 volts would be running the those plates "balls to the wall". I don't think the difference in their tonal output and the tonal output of a pair of 6L6GC would be noticed by anyone other than the musician using the amp. The untrained ears of Joe and Edna Six-Pack definitely couldn't distinguish between the two.
As far as user friendly goes, I can just see someone sloshing a drink on the amp and getting lit up like a neon sign! :eek:

Hey Jack - I still have a Collins 30L-1 running 1700 volts on 4-811A's here in the shack. Wonder how they would do in boutique amp?

Cheers - de Benton wb5twc
Gaylon Mathews

Post by Gaylon Mathews »

I was beyond honored when Ted asked if he could name this amp after me. It was almost complete when Ted passed away. I'm afraid the amp and the idea passed away with him as I have spoken to T.A. about it a few times and can't seem to get any interest in seeing it completed.
Gaylon's Homepage
www.facebook.com/gaylonmathews

gaylonmathews@yahoo.com

Show Pro Steel Guitars, 2Ds Guitars, Peavey Electronics, Gallien Krueger MB Series Amps, GHS Strings, Rick Johnson Cabinets, D2F Covers, Eminence Double-T Speakers, Weber Speakers, Cedar Creek Cases.