Pete Drake

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Per Berner

Post by Per Berner »

And now with the lights turned on:
Joe Goldmark

Post by Joe Goldmark »

Pete always got great tone on his recordings. There was a joke that he only had three licks, ones that went up (hellacopters), ones that went down (dive bombers) and ones that just stayed there (repetitions). But, try and duplicate his sound, it ain't easy. Producers would use him almost as a sound effect, or as a hook in the song, more than as a lead instrument. He had a knack for playing the right little lick at the right time.

I also heard that his Sho-Bud had gold plated castings and was one of the best sounding guitars ever built. Maybe Cal Sharp can elaborate on that?

Joe
Chip McConnell

Post by Chip McConnell »

I don't have it in front of me, but as I recall the Winnie Winston book has a photo of Pete playing what looks like a Fingertip with his name inlaid on the front. Was this an earlier guitar that got supplanted by the one shown above?
A. J. Schobert

Post by A. J. Schobert »

That is a good, historical picture. I am very impressed, not to often does a steel player get his notice.
Jack Stanton

Post by Jack Stanton »

Mike,
Goldie, as well as the fingertip model he used on "Lay Lady Lay" plus his Sho-Bud and Standel amps are in the Musician's Hall of Fame in Nashville (a short walk from the Country Music Hall of Fame).
The Musician's Hall of Fame is VERY cool! You walk around a winding hall that leads you into rooms from different music scenes (Nashville, Memphis, LA (the Wrecking Crew!),Motown)filled with pretty much nothing but instruments. I don't think it's been there that long, and considering the day I was there no one else came in, it may not be around too long, but it was absolutly worth the trip!
Shorty Smith

Post by Shorty Smith »

I have 4 songs in my computer of a session I cut at Starday in 1968. Pete Drake directed this session and played steel. If anyone would like to have these song, send me a message at asmith5655@aol.com, and I will email them to you, Shorty
Al Udeen

3 licks

Post by Al Udeen »

Hi Joe G. we met at Lee's Liquor Bar in Mpls a few years ago, the 3 licks you mentioned really caught my eye, when I was living & playing the road in Nashville in 69, my wife & I lived with the Late & Great Jimmy Colvard & his wife Laura, Jimmy at the time was the first call guitar session player, I asked him, How does Pete Drake get so much session work, & he said he has 3 licks, but never makes a mistake, Of course studio excecs like to get things done in one or two takes, my recollection of his licks are dyeedyeedyee, & yes they are very hard to copy! May God Rest Petes Soul! au
Joe Goldmark

Post by Joe Goldmark »

Hi Al,

I do remember meeting you, and feeling like I didn't play very well that night. But, the Twangbangers were a pretty good band on any night. Thanks for coming out. What ever became of Jimmy Colvard? Wasn't he with the Po' Boys for awhile, maybe when Weldon played with them?

joe
Michael Douchette

Post by Michael Douchette »

Joe, I hate to tell you, but Colvard committed suicide many years ago... sad loss.
Mikey D... H.S.P.
Music hath the charm to soothe a savage beast, but I'd try a 10mm first.

http://www.steelharp.com
http://www.thesessionplayers.com/douchette.html

(other things you can ask about here)
http://s117.photobucket.com/albums/o54/Steelharp/